When I was growing up I loved watching ballerinas dance around in their tutus and tights. They looked so elegant, so graceful.

Like many little girls, my daughter also fell in love with watching ballerinas. She’s been asking me if she could take classes for about a year. Finally, we caved, and signed her up for lessons. She had her first class last week and throughly enjoyed it.

Biracial ballerinaI had plans to buy her dance ware at a kids consignment store but the last-minute sign-up didn’t give me enough time to run down there. I coughed up $22 for tap shoes, and luckily found tights and leotards at Walmart. I also got ballet slippers there but after checking out the other girls shoes, I realized Lil’ J’s are more bed-slipper-like than dance-slipper-like.

During class all the other moms waited in the hallway and watched from the windows. I sat inside the room and took photographs. Apparently you get a “first class pass” to staying in the room and watching your child perform. I took full advantage and busted out my DSLR.

Balance beam

The other half of the class I stood in the hallway and watched with other moms. A couple told me about their favorite teachers, some mentioned the variety of classes their daughters are enrolled in, one bragged about her older daughter’s special talents. For a brief moment I felt like I had stepped into an episode of Dance Moms.

I was an extremely competitive child growing up. I still have waves of a competitive spirit now and then,and occasionally I can feel a tug of it regarding my kids’ skills. I try to stop myself before it can boil over, but sometimes I worry the older my children get, the worse I’ll get.

Ballet class

As I watched my daughter practice in class I felt a shift in my attitude. Instead of watching how she did in comparison to other dancers, I watched the smile on her face grow brighter. The joy in her expressions, the bounce in her jump, and her studious look while her dance teacher taught her a new move.

I have a feeling this is just the first in a series of lessons I’m going to learn about parenting among other parents. I think so long as I continue to feel repulsed every time I watch Dance Moms I’m probably doing ok. The day those ladies start to seem sensible to me is the day I’ve started down a dark road.
"graceful" ballerina

Tags: , , ,

7 Responses to “Resisting the urge to become a dance mom”

1. Camjay says:

Love it!!!

2. Lindsey G. says:

Oh Jenn! She is absolutely beautiful in her little dance clothes. Just like you, I’ve been worried to death about becoming one of those Dance Moms. Sophia has been doing ballet/tap for a year and I had so much fun watching HER FACE rather than her steps – sure, I take pride when it looks like she’s dancing along with the teacher, but those smiles and “thumbs up” between dances let me know that she loves it so much and so do I!
    Lindsey G. recently posted..Summer Infant Swaddlers Top My Newborn Must-Have List #ThirdTimesaCharm Giveaway – USMy Profile

3. Kiar Shaw says:

There is definitly a fine line to be walked! Our middle son is extremely gifted at sports, and made his Allstar baseball team this year. I have to really watch my own attitude at practices, reminding myself he is 9 and this isn’t the Major Leagues, when he bobbles a play or drops a catch. We expect our kids to do their best, to play hard, but most of all, to enjoy what they do. If he came to me and said he didn’t want to play anymore, it would be heartbreaking. But we would let him make that choice. Because it’s not about us, it’s about him! (There is one caveat, however! Our kids MUST finish out a season of whatever the sport is, because they have made a commitment to their coach and teammates. It is bad form and terrible sportsmanship to quit halfway through, IMO) we have applied this theory to baseball, football, softball and soccer. So far, we have had two children decide they would never play soccer or baseball again, but found other activities they excell at. (We have 5 kids)
    You have the right mindset, to not become a stereotypical dance mom! Those ladies are scary! (I’m sure they are nice away from the studio, though!)

4. ajira says:

Yay for resisting the urge to become a dance mom! My friends (and some family) are always urging me to sign up my kiddo for modeling but I always tell them I’m afraid I’d turn into Joe Jackson- ‘Dance, boy, dance! Don’t you stop singing, now!’ lol. So I completely understand.
    ajira recently posted..UX for Good: Can We Harness Emotions to End Genocide?My Profile

5. In case you do you can get in touch with client service and give
    your answer within the couple of hours.

Here is my homepage; tedswoodworking plan
    tedswoodworking plan recently posted..tedswoodworking planMy Profile

6. google says:

My partner and I stumbled over here different website
    and thought I may as well check things out.
    I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward to looking over your web page yet again.
    google recently posted..googleMy Profile

7. mazowieckie says:

Everyone loves what you guys are up too. This type
    of clever work and reporting! Keep up the great works guys I’ve added you guys to
    our blogroll.
    mazowieckie recently posted..mazowieckieMy Profile

CommentLuv badge

About Jennifer

On the air, I'm a part-time news reporter and anchor. Off the air, I'm a full-time wife and mother documenting my life in extraordinary ways, and inspiring others to do the same. This is the space where I share my journey in making beautiful memories with my beautiful babies.

My Youtube Videos

Words From The Heart

Featured Posts

iphone photo backup  photo photo-series.png365 baby photo project  photo Featured-posts.png  photo 20-minute-ruffle-dress.png

My two little loves. She is a huge cuddler. He is not (with her). It's rare I catch a reluctant embrace. #siblinglove
I've given up on trying to get this kid to sit still for photos. But I love capturing his spirit and energy the way it is. Sharing tips for photographing active kids #ontheblog. Plus more photos of our kite adventure on @tampicoofficial's #tampicoiscolor blog! Link in bio.
Thought I brought my phone for music, glad I had it to snap this. Capture those family traditions no matter how small. Love this little family of mine. We may be small but we are mighty, and I feel so blessed to these three in my life. #familiesareforever #familywalk #lovetheview #makingmemories #familyhistorian
My little blessing. I love watching her do what she loves. I'm sure her interests will evolve over the years. But I love this phase. New post #ontheblog. Link in bio.
Little brother's turn to take a stab at school. Goodness, I adore them. #firstdayofschool #siblinglove
First week of school was a success! Lil' J loves kindergarten and can't wait to go back Monday. Meanwhile I'm excited to sleep in this weekend. I documented the highlights in photos and video and just shared the best bits #ontheblog. Link in bio. #backtoschool
Good sisters help you get a drink. The best sisters give you more than you asked for. #makingmemories
She invited her brother for tea. I had to document. #makingmemories
So ready to be done with diapers but dreading that which is known as potty training. Sharing what I learned with #1 and taking tips for #2 on the blog. Direct link in bio.

Find me on Google Plus

Best-of Motherhood Stories He Says / She Says Pre-Baby (TTC) Pregnancy Week by Week
Swinging son active biracial boy
I Didn’t Think Having a Son Would Feel Like This
birth baby t3
Pros and cons of having another baby
seventh generation handwashing ways to stay healthy during cold season
Confession: I’m ‘That Mom’ You Hate During Cold Season
Family History for Kids Family Traditions Interracial Marriage Mixed Hair Care Multiracial Parenting
Tips for washing biracial hair
Well, it Turns Out Black People CAN Get Lice
family photo
Here’s the Problem with Racism Today and How We Can Solve it
I See Me My Very Own Trucks Book
3 Special Surprises for My Train-Loving Child
365 Ideas Home Video Tutorials Journal Prompts Photo Backup & Printing Tips Photography Tips
Kids MLK Day I have a Dream Craft
Life is Messy But So Beautiful
One Reason to Want One More: Tips for Photographing Your Newborn
how to photograph active kids
Active kids. Priceless details. No blur: How to photograph kids in motion
Family Videos Keepsake Inspiration Love Letters Photo Series Questions For Our Kids
You’ll Never Guess What Got This Girl to Swim
Whimsical Disney Photography: UP House photos of adorable siblings
Up & Away at the Pixar Up House
Tips for surviving the first week of school
10 Important Lessons I learned After the First Week of School
Creating With Kids (DIY) Disney Family Travel Making Food Fun
Whimsical Disney Photography: UP House photos of adorable siblings
Up & Away at the Pixar Up House
Teaching our kids to dream big: The importance of sometimes letting them be a bit delusional, and how it can help them succeed in life.
My parents let me be delusional, and I’m so glad they did
Three generations at Disney World