When I was growing up I loved watching ballerinas dance around in their tutus and tights. They looked so elegant, so graceful.

Like many little girls, my daughter also fell in love with watching ballerinas. She’s been asking me if she could take classes for about a year. Finally, we caved, and signed her up for lessons. She had her first class last week and throughly enjoyed it.

Biracial ballerinaI had plans to buy her dance ware at a kids consignment store but the last-minute sign-up didn’t give me enough time to run down there. I coughed up $22 for tap shoes, and luckily found tights and leotards at Walmart. I also got ballet slippers there but after checking out the other girls shoes, I realized Lil’ J’s are more bed-slipper-like than dance-slipper-like.

During class all the other moms waited in the hallway and watched from the windows. I sat inside the room and took photographs. Apparently you get a “first class pass” to staying in the room and watching your child perform. I took full advantage and busted out my DSLR.

Balance beam

The other half of the class I stood in the hallway and watched with other moms. A couple told me about their favorite teachers, some mentioned the variety of classes their daughters are enrolled in, one bragged about her older daughter’s special talents. For a brief moment I felt like I had stepped into an episode of Dance Moms.

I was an extremely competitive child growing up. I still have waves of a competitive spirit now and then,and occasionally I can feel a tug of it regarding my kids’ skills. I try to stop myself before it can boil over, but sometimes I worry the older my children get, the worse I’ll get.

Ballet class

As I watched my daughter practice in class I felt a shift in my attitude. Instead of watching how she did in comparison to other dancers, I watched the smile on her face grow brighter. The joy in her expressions, the bounce in her jump, and her studious look while her dance teacher taught her a new move.

I have a feeling this is just the first in a series of lessons I’m going to learn about parenting among other parents. I think so long as I continue to feel repulsed every time I watch Dance Moms I’m probably doing ok. The day those ladies start to seem sensible to me is the day I’ve started down a dark road.
"graceful" ballerina

Tags: , , ,

7 Responses to “Resisting the urge to become a dance mom”

1. Camjay says:

Love it!!!

2. Lindsey G. says:

Oh Jenn! She is absolutely beautiful in her little dance clothes. Just like you, I’ve been worried to death about becoming one of those Dance Moms. Sophia has been doing ballet/tap for a year and I had so much fun watching HER FACE rather than her steps – sure, I take pride when it looks like she’s dancing along with the teacher, but those smiles and “thumbs up” between dances let me know that she loves it so much and so do I!
    Lindsey G. recently posted..Summer Infant Swaddlers Top My Newborn Must-Have List #ThirdTimesaCharm Giveaway – USMy Profile

3. Kiar Shaw says:

There is definitly a fine line to be walked! Our middle son is extremely gifted at sports, and made his Allstar baseball team this year. I have to really watch my own attitude at practices, reminding myself he is 9 and this isn’t the Major Leagues, when he bobbles a play or drops a catch. We expect our kids to do their best, to play hard, but most of all, to enjoy what they do. If he came to me and said he didn’t want to play anymore, it would be heartbreaking. But we would let him make that choice. Because it’s not about us, it’s about him! (There is one caveat, however! Our kids MUST finish out a season of whatever the sport is, because they have made a commitment to their coach and teammates. It is bad form and terrible sportsmanship to quit halfway through, IMO) we have applied this theory to baseball, football, softball and soccer. So far, we have had two children decide they would never play soccer or baseball again, but found other activities they excell at. (We have 5 kids)
    You have the right mindset, to not become a stereotypical dance mom! Those ladies are scary! (I’m sure they are nice away from the studio, though!)

4. ajira says:

Yay for resisting the urge to become a dance mom! My friends (and some family) are always urging me to sign up my kiddo for modeling but I always tell them I’m afraid I’d turn into Joe Jackson- ‘Dance, boy, dance! Don’t you stop singing, now!’ lol. So I completely understand.
    ajira recently posted..UX for Good: Can We Harness Emotions to End Genocide?My Profile

5. In case you do you can get in touch with client service and give
    your answer within the couple of hours.

Here is my homepage; tedswoodworking plan
    tedswoodworking plan recently posted..tedswoodworking planMy Profile

6. google says:

My partner and I stumbled over here different website
    and thought I may as well check things out.
    I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward to looking over your web page yet again.
    google recently posted..googleMy Profile

7. mazowieckie says:

Everyone loves what you guys are up too. This type
    of clever work and reporting! Keep up the great works guys I’ve added you guys to
    our blogroll.
    mazowieckie recently posted..mazowieckieMy Profile

CommentLuv badge

Win a $299 Lyve Home

About Jennifer

On the air, I'm a freelance news reporter and anchor. Off the air, I'm a wife and mother documenting my life in extraordinary ways, and inspiring others to do the same. This is the space where I share my journey in making beautiful memories with my beautiful babies.

My Youtube Videos

photo Featured-posts.png

Featured Posts

iphone photo backup  photo photo-series.png365 baby photo project  photo Featured-posts.png  photo 20-minute-ruffle-dress.png

MyInstagrams

#ThrowbackThursday to our first kitchen table as 19 and 22-year-old newlyweds. We've come a long way from our humble beginnings. I'm partnering with @allstate to share our story, and what each move meant to us, and how these memories are important to #handlewithcare. Direct link to the truth about our start in my bio. #tbt
Love my boys ??????
It's nice when he slows down enough for me to snap a picture of his sweet face. #lovehim
My sweet baby boy found a friend.
Hanging out with Rapunzel. She was so looking forward to this one but we learned super long heavy hair is overrated. #DressupWithJ #Rapunzel #DisneySide #DisneyPrincess #NationalPrincessWeek
Nothing like catching these two playing nice. More photos of them having their own story time on my @tampicoofficial blog. #TampicoIsColor
21 Dresses. #DressupWithJ
Does your family kiss on the lips? My husband and I don't agree. Our new He says/ She says is #ontheblog. #MBBFresh #siblings
So tonight while washing her hair and watching Beauty and the Beast J said I know what's going to happen. The Beast is going to die, then he's going to get resurrected like Jesus! Such a little smarty pants. #DailyCurly #disneymovieoftheday
as-seen-on-button

Find me on Google Plus

Menu
Menu
Best-of Motherhood Stories He Says / She Says Pre-Baby (TTC) Pregnancy Week by Week
newlyweds
The truth about our humble beginnings
He says/ she says: A husband/wife discussion about kissing on the lips.
Kissing on the lips: He says/ She says
biracial baby boy
Birthday Cake: He Says/ She Says
365 Ideas Home Video Tutorials Journaling Inspiration Photo Backup & Printing Ideas Photography Tips
10-Milestones-featured-image
10 baby milestones to get on video
Planning a family fire escape
In case of a fire: 6 tips for saving your family and your memories
Video tips for recording your child's favorite book. Make memories last
A bedtime story to remember
Family Videos Keepsakes to Leave Behind Love Letters Photo Series Questions to Ask Our Kids
5-apps-for-kids
5 apps to easily record and track your child’s milestones
10-Milestones-featured-image
10 baby milestones to get on video
Brown Princess Series: My Little Princess- A cute and creative mother-daughter photo series featuring a biracial girl dressed up as Disney Princesses.
Snow White: My Little Princess
Family History for Kids Family Traditions Interracial Marriage Mixed Hair Care Multiracial Parenting
newlyweds
The truth about our humble beginnings
Disney-World-iPhone_0172-2-e1427180567572
That time I tried to straighten my daughter’s hair
When natural hair goes wrong: Sometimes strange things get caught in your hair. Nothing tops this.
When natural hair goes wrong: You’ll never believe what got stuck in my hair
Creating With Kids (DIY) Disney Family Travel Making Food Fun